Who We Are
Highly experienced investment consulting professional known for providing in-depth analysis and advice to institutional investors. Committed to building strong client relationships through prompt and resourceful service. Broad knowledge of major asset classes and manager styles and approaches. Proven analytical and technical skills to establish confidence and resolve problems for clients and colleagues. Expertise in:
- ERISA/Fiduciary Responsibility
- Asset Allocation
- Liability Driven Investment Strategies
- Manager and Mutual Fund Evaluation
- Portfolio Structure
- Defined Contribution Plan Design
- Vendor Searches (Recordkeeping, Custody, Trustee)
- Client and New Business Presentations
Nano-Ice, Brookline MA, Design consultant
Creative director for start-up technology-based personal cooling necklace.
- Created a design solution that could be easily replicated using only machine based sewing
- Sourced fabrics and tested various fibers for effective cooling transfer
- Participated in product launch in local market and internet sites
P-SOLVE, Waltham, MA, Director and Senior Investment Consultant
Senior member of investment team responsible for advising and implementing investment strategies for institutional clients:
- Educated clients on liability-driven investing (LDI) through a series of meetings and discussions.
- Presented the implications of shifting from a traditional balanced strategy focusing only on asset returns to the liability-driven approach.
- Successfully transitioned $70M client portfolio to LDI approach with 20% equity and 80% long-duration fixed income.
- Reported asset liability changes monthly to the client as interest rates and markets changed, demonstrating the stability derived from the new approach.
- Resulted in a high level of client satisfaction and reference for prospects.
Consultant to institutional investors, defined benefit, and defined contribution plans:
- Monitored and advised pension and defined contribution plans, assisting committees and boards in meeting their fiduciary responsibilities.
- Revised investment policy statements, prepared monthly pension dashboards, and recommended changes to allocations as conditions changed.
- Evaluated manager performance through quarterly performance reviews.
- Developed in-depth analysis on target date funds to assist plan sponsors in understanding Qualified Default Investment Allocation selection.
- Navigated complex vendor fee arrangements to reduce client expenses by 20 to 30 basis points annually.
- Conducted vendor searches for defined benefit and contribution plans on behalf of clients.
Head of U.S. manager research for multi-asset class investment strategy:
- Created database and reporting protocol for over 300 funds to monitor the firm's client holdings representing over $4B in assets under management.
- Incorporated proprietary rating system and quarterly commentary into database.
- Managed quarterly written reviews and updates to funds and managers completed by analysts and consultants.
- Through revised organization, improved the firm's ability to act quickly as developments occurred, allowing prompt client communication on investments.
Mercer Investment Consulting, Boston, MA
Principal and Senior Investment Consultant (2008-2009)
Principal, Market Leader (2005-2007)
- Provided advice and guidance to 10-15 clients, primarily corporate Board members and senior executives responsible for the oversight of the company's defined benefit, defined contribution (401(k), 403(b)), and traditional defined benefit plans.
- Developed quarterly economic and capital markets reviews which were adopted as primary template for all Mercer investment consulting reports.
- Developed investment policy statements and investment objectives, strategic asset allocation, and optimized portfolio structure.
- Conducted performance evaluations for mutual funds and separate accounts as well as searches for new managers across all major asset classes.
Principal, Senior Investment Consultant (2001-2005)
Invesra (LTSave), Boston, MA
Chief Investment Officer
- Enhanced the investment application of Invesra's technology-based investment advice service, a venture-backed start-up in first round of financing (Note: Invesra stopped operations in July 2008 due to lack of funding).
- Redesigned the firm's asset allocation module and fund selection process for the product launch in April 2008.
- Incorporated institutional analysis and philosophy to provide sophisticated investment techniques and structure to the mass affluent market.
- Wrote monthly market commentary and newsletters for web site and client communications.
Education and Certifications
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
Master of Business Administration, Boston University, Boston, MA
Bachelor of Arts, Music, Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA
Computer Skills include Microsoft Office, Morningstar Direct, Style Research
Other Interests and Volunteer Work
Member, Endowment Investment Committee, St. Timothy's School, Stevenson, MD
Member, Toastmasters International
Avid biker and occasional golfer
Other hobbies include painting, jewelry, and creative sewing.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
"Fiduciary Responsibility in Retirement Plans," New England Employee Benefits Council (2013, 2014)